Monday, June 6, 2016

Digging Deeper

Do you like to dig deeper when you're studying the Bible? If you come across a passage you don't understand or it makes you think "hmmm," do you pause and go to your computer or concordance or Bible dictionary?

The two churches I was raised in never encouraged me to read my Bible, let alone dig deeper. It was never said during a sermon to go home and read the passages during the week and the whole chapter to learn more.  It has only been in the last 10 years that I have read my Bible from cover to cover. I'm on my third journey through this wonderful book. I love the Bible and in its entirely it is enough. Anything you want to know about God's love for you or His laws are contained in this one Book, but at my age and in this part of my journey I want to know more. I want to dig deeper.

Take the Garden of Eden, for instance. Why did Eve talk to the serpent? Did she know him already? Was he a friend or someone who helped in the Garden? A servant perhaps? Was he someone she trusted? She took his advice readily enough. We know he walked upright until after the fall when God told him, "Because you have done this, Cursed are you above all livestock and wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life." (Genesis 3:14) But what about these questions? Hmmmm.......

I've dug deeper into questions like these and love finding the answers. I hated history in school, but when it comes to Bible history, I'm finding I love the treasure hunt of digging deeper.

Acts 20:32 Now I commit you to God and to the word of His grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

Gratitude (prompts from aholyexperience.com)
3 gifts in what you are reading
1. Grace
2. Forgiveness
3. Mercy

Phil 1:4
In all my prayers for all of you,
I always pray with joy.

Blessings,
Deborah



1 comment:

  1. Ah... a whole string of good questions! It's good to stop and ask them. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blank Pages Can Be Intimidating

Greetings from the bower on Church St. Yes, blank pages can be intimidating sometimes. I sat looking at this one for quite some time thi...