Monday, October 3, 2016

Putting Things into Action

Start with God
Stay with God
End with God

Challenge Day 3

Philippians 4:8-9 (NIV)
8. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
9. Whatever you have learned, or received, or heard from me, or seen in me - put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. 

The translations I read were:
NIV - New International Version
NKJV - New King James Version
KJV - King James Version
CJB - Complete Jewish Bible
GNV - 1599 Geneva Bible

I also wrote them all down. It was interesting to compare them.

I am making this my memory verse for this month. I typed it out above from memory and only messed up on verse 9. :)

The commentary I read was Nelson's Bible Commentary. Two word definitions caught my eye.

Meditate ("think about such things" in my NIV) - deliberate and evaluate. The new Christians were told to renew their minds so that they would not conform to the evils of this world.

Learned - not only conveys increased knowledge, but also learn by habitual practice.

My note - The increased knowledge is good, but not enough. Only by practicing and putting it into action do we truly learn something and make it our own.

Today, Dana suggests we carry a small piece of paper in our pocket and write down our thoughts throughout the day. At the end of the day we should read them and ask ourselves if they fit with Phil 4:8-9. Tear them up and toss when done. She also suggests we keep Phil 4:8-9 in mind when we are on social media. Good advice.

Dear Hashem,
Thank you for Your many blessings and help me today to focus on things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. Help me to remember the things I have read, learned, received and heard and put them into action. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Gratitude
1. His word
2. Knowledge
3. Meditation

Phil 1:4
In all my prayers for all you,
I always pray with joy.

Blessings,
Deborah



2 comments:

  1. Lovely post. We are in total agreement about what "stands out" in this passage. A definition that got my attention was to "heard". It stresses paying attention to the point of conformity.

    I appreciate having you on this journey. Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana. I'm enjoying following you. Blessings.

      Delete

Blank Pages Can Be Intimidating

Greetings from the bower on Church St. Yes, blank pages can be intimidating sometimes. I sat looking at this one for quite some time thi...