Saturday, January 13, 2018

Weight Loss Bible Study - Day 14

Welcome to Day 14 - Bad Scale Eating

I DID IT!! I lost that other pound. Yay, me!
Now I have promised myself not to get on the scale for another week. No more daily readings. It really doesn't give you an accurate picture of what is going on anyway. Too many variables each day.

Do you get frustrated when the scales doesn't move and you've worked so hard to stay in your boundaries and exercised? It is frustrating, but don't give up. I didn't and it paid off.
Keep going.
Don't lose faith.
Read your Bible verses.
God is here to help us.

https://barbraveling.com/2012/07/12/weight-loss-bible-study-day-14-bad-scale-eating/
Lots to learn on the blog today. I'll let you do it alone this time.

"Taste for Truth"
The Renovation of the Mind Day 14

How do we renew our mind?
"It's kind of like home improvement."
1. "You don't know what you're getting into."
2. "You uncover problems you didn't know you had."
3. "You have to make multiple calls to the Carpenter."
4. "It usually takes longer than you planned."
"In the end it looks great and you wonder why you didn't do it years ago."
She talks about old self/new self, old lies/truth, cultural perspective/Biblical perspective, what you learned growing up/what you learned in the Bible.
"One of the lies you learned growing up is that food will make you feel better."
My grandmother used to bake a chocolate cake to make you feel better. She was just being nice. She didn't realize I was learning that "Eating makes me feel better" or "Food is the answer to all life's problems." We have to unlearn this by renewing our minds by staying in our boundaries.
"Take off the lies and put on the truth."
Barb's other blog "I Deserve a Donut and Other Lies" has some great tools to help us do this.
http://www.ideserveadonut.com/

Bible Study:
1. Think of the family you grew up in. What did they believe about life, food, appearances?
List as many things as you can.
    Parents and grandparents were overweight
    Father was a chef and Greek (they like to feed people)
    Grandmother loved to cook/bake and feed people
    They all loved to entertain and food was the center of it all

6. Read Ephesians 4:22-24
That in reference to your former manner of life,
you lay aside the old self,
which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit,
and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind,
and put on the new self,
which in the likeness of God
has been created in righteousness
and holiness of the truth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Wow. It's all there for us, eh?)
 a. Think specifically of your goal of breaking free form the control of food. What three things does the passage tell you to do if you want to be transformed?
  1. Lay aside the old self
  2. Renew in the spirit of your mind
  3. Put on the new self

I encourage you answer b-g and complete the assignment of the day.



Gratitude
1. A chance to renew my mind
2. The ability to unlearn the old lies
3. Creating a new self

Blessings,
Deborah






2 comments:

  1. This one really hit home with me. Bringing us back to where it all began is a great way to start to accept why we do/think in the first place. (Not blaming here) Be recognizing the signs it is easier to deal with the problem up front. I just thank God I was never one much for sweets but the pastas on the other hand is my weakness. I love the verse Ephesians 4 22-24 as it really does help to break things down into manageable piece and easier to digest. Thanks so much for sharing this study with us. I have learned a lot and grown from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I liked going back to the beginning, too. It is always the best place to start. <3

      Delete

Blank Pages Can Be Intimidating

Greetings from the bower on Church St. Yes, blank pages can be intimidating sometimes. I sat looking at this one for quite some time thi...