Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Weight Loss Bible Study - Day 3

Welcome to Day 3 of our Weight Loss Bible Study!

Day 3 - Justification Eating

Boy, does this one hit home.
How are you doing?
I miss sugar.
I almost took one bite of my SIL's homemade buttermilk pie last night. BUT, I didn't. :)
When I gave up sugar a couple of years ago it took about 2 weeks and then I didn't want it anymore.
But it was hard at first and when the craving hit, I would read Psalm 73:26 - My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Later, I condensed it down to just, "God is my portion forever," when I felt the cravings hit. It really helped to say that.
I have decided that I am not going to say I will lose a certain amount of weight by a certain date. That just sets me up to fail. I'm going to lose weight. However long it takes, dealing with the set backs and never giving up.

The following are excerpts from Barb's book "Taste for Truth."

I'll start tomorrow.
It will be easier tomorrow.
I'll feel more like sticking to my boundaries tomorrow.
I will stick to my boundaries tomorrow.
TRUTH -
It won't be easier tomorrow and we will never feel like sticking to our boundaries.
Go read Day 3 on Barb's blog. I'll wait.
https://barbraveling.com/?s=weight+loss+bible+study+Day+3

So we don't really mean to break our boundaries, but we tell ourselves little lies. (She gives a list of the lies in the link above.) I've said them all to myself and I bet you may have, too.
Why do we do that to ourselves?! *sigh*

She asks some great questions, doesn't she?
Let's look at #4.
What does the Bible say about this subject?
Romans 13:14 - Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.

1Corinthians 10:31 - So, whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

1Peter 2:11 - Dear friends, I urge you, ....to abstain from sinful desires which wage war against your soul.

Let's hang onto these scriptures and read them throughout the day whenever we feel ourselves wanting to break our boundaries or lie to ourselves.

Verse Mapping 
I chose to VM :
1Corinthians 10:31

NIV
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do,
do it for the glory of God.

KJV
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatever ye do,
do all to the glory of God.

AMP
So then, whether you eat or drink or whatever you do,
do all to the glory of [our great] God.

eat - consume - devour - ingest - food - snacks
drink - swallow - guzzle - imbibe - sip - absorb
whatever - what all - whatnot
glory - praise - honor- worship - exaltation

Commentaries
By Elliot's for English Readers
These words embrace all life. The definite acts of eating and drinking are mentioned expressly as they are the subject immediately under consideration. They are, however, to be regulated by the same principle which guides all true life.
(I love that!)

Forerunner Commentary
In all our activities, our emphasis should be honoring God, rather than ourselves.

Link in case you would like to read more commentaries on this verse.
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/1_corinthians/10-31.htm


Verse mapping in my Faith Journal. When I was working on this, it came over me strongly to add the names of God. I added as many as I could fit at the bottom of page one. I used washi tape to make the star on page two.

Good luck in this journey to weight loss. Please comment below if you are struggling or need prayer for anything.

Gratitude
1. A gracious God to glorify
2. God's mercy
3. God's redeeming Grace

Jeremiah 29:11-13
"For I know the plans I have for you,"
declares the Lord,
"plans to prosper you,
plans to give you hope and a future..
You will seek me and find me
when you seek me with all your heart."

Blessings,
Deborah







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blank Pages Can Be Intimidating

Greetings from the bower on Church St. Yes, blank pages can be intimidating sometimes. I sat looking at this one for quite some time thi...